When I had my own high school senior portraits done an unspeakable number of years ago, options were limited to going to a studio, and doing two photos. One in a cap and gown, and one in a suit and tie. That was it. Luckily the options today are not nearly so limited. When I photograph senior portraits here in Colorado, I try to really capture students’ personalities in amazing mountain scenery. The following is a selection of some of my favorite examples of senior portraits over the years, and some advice to get the most out of your session.[ngg_images source=”galleries” container_ids=”141″ sortorder=”3238,3230,3231,3234,3235,3229,3236,3239,3240,3245,3241,3228,3242,3237,3243,3233,3244,3246,3232″ display_type=”photocrati-nextgen_pro_mosaic” row_height=”225″ margins=”5″ last_row=”justify” lazy_load_enable=”1″ lazy_load_initial=”35″ lazy_load_batch=”15″ display_type_view=”default” ngg_proofing_display=”0″ captions_enabled=”0″ captions_display_sharing=”1″ captions_display_title=”1″ captions_display_description=”1″ captions_animation=”slideup” order_by=”sortorder” order_direction=”ASC” returns=”included” maximum_entity_count=”500″]
- Book Early. There is virtually nothing worse than waiting until the last minute with everyone else, and not being able to schedule a session. During the summer and fall, photographers can be booked months in advance.
- Collaborate. Don’t be afraid to talk to your photographer in advance about any ideas you might have. It will be a good chance to brainstorm together. The best photos will require teamwork.
- Pick Your Clothing. It’s good to bring a variety of outfit options. Definitely bring something nice for that photo you are going to send to Grandma, but don’t be afraid to bring your favorite t-shirt, fancy dress, or sports uniform.
- Look for Inspiration. When looking for inspiration, think outside the box. Other senior sessions are a good place to look for examples, but don’t be afraid to look to movies or your favorite magazines and websites. Share what you find with your photographer.
- Have Fun. Don’t worry if you have never had professional photos taken before. Your professional photographer is there to make sure you have fun and look your best. He or she will help you to fell comfortable being photographed.